UPDATED AUGUST 19
Studio update! @Awenink and @MarvelousMatt are back in the studio and tattoo machines are buzzing once again!
We are closely monitoring MN’s COVID numbers as well as availability of PPE and will make weekly determinations on studio hours. As always, health and safety come first!
If you have an upcoming appointment, your Artist will be in touch with you.
If your appointment was postponed, we will be in touch to reschedule – please be patient as it’s going to take some time to contact and rebook nearly one hundred appointments among existing appointments during limited hours.
If you have a new piece in mind, we’ll reopen bookings for new pieces after we have rescheduled all postponed appointments. Awen is estimating opening books in the fall for appointments in 2021. Matt has fall and winter appointments available.
Of course, all of this is up to the Coronavirus and as such ALL studio hours, appointments and protocols are subject to change. Thank you to everyone for your patience – We are thankful for your positivity, concern and unyielding support!
Please read all of these details:
Prior to COVID-19, we already had strict protocols in place to protect public health. This studio is clean, Carol Ann! We’re expanded the studio (doubled the size!) and have added new protocols specific to COVID-19. When you come in to the studio for your appointment, you can expect that:
- We clean and disinfect throughout the studio, including public and common spaces, before and after each client.
- Our artists are trained in Prevention of Disease Transmission in Tattooing through the Alliance of Professional Tattooists, which we re-certify annually.
- We use single service disposable set ups for each and every client. That means items used during your tattoo appointment – from needles to pigment to ink caps – are all discarded at the end of each appointment. Single service disposable is the way to go.
- NEW: We’re drawing in fresh air and filtering studio air 5x hourly with HEPA air filtration.
- NEW: We’re supporting physical distancing by limiting foot traffic in the studio to only clients with a scheduled appointment at that time. Please refrain from bringing anyone with you. They will not be able to enter the studio. We welcome you to use our free WIFI to virtually invite your bestie, partner or family members via FaceTime, Zoom, Hologram or whatever. If you require assistance of a care provider, contact your artist to discuss arrangements.
- NEW: Please refrain from bringing large bags and personal items, including snacks and to-go cups. (It is harder to hear one another through masks and PPE over the sound of the tattoo buzz, which makes conversation tricky. Consider bringing earbuds or AirPods with to take you to your happy place while getting inked.) While we understand these changes may seem inconvenient, they ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- NEW: You’re welcome to have your phone in the chair with you if you clean and disinfect it with the provided wipes upon your arrival and wash hands after disinfecting the phone. While we understand these changes may seem inconvenient, they ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- NEW: We are supporting physical distancing by staggering appointments so that clients avoid passing one another. We’re booking only one appointment per artist per day for the foreseeable future.
- NEW: We’re capping appointment lengths at a max of 3 hours each, no exceptions. Shorter appointments reduce stress on the immune system during healing AND reduce the viral load our artists are exposed to. Both of these mitigations support the immune system’s resilience in fighting exposure to illness. If you have or had an appointment scheduled for longer than three hours, we will shorten it and schedule additional time as needed.
- NEW: We are not currently booking appointments for chest, neck, ribs or stomach tattoos. These areas require being too close in proximity to direct respiration.
- NEW: Masks are required for all clients and artists for the duration of your time in the studio. See, how it works is… my mask protects you from my funk. And your mask protects me from your funk. Respect for one another – it’s easy. We will provide each client with a new surgical mask to wear for the duration of your time in the studio. The surgical mask we provide you, at no cost, helps ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible. Per Minneapolis Emergency Regulation 2020-12, which requires masks be worn in all indoor public spaces, we ask that you wear your own personal mask entering and exiting the building. If you choose not to wear the fresh surgical mask we provide, we will reschedule your appointment.
- NEW: Clients will wash hands with soap and hot water for a minimum of 20 seconds upon arriving at the studio.
- NEW: Hand sanitizer is available to clients throughout the duration of your appointment.
- NEW: Clients are expected to wear clean clothes to the studio. If you are coming from anywhere other than your home, change into clean clothes before arriving.
- NEW: Artists will be wearing scrubs or clean suits, masks and eye protection or face shields as well as gloves and aprons.
- NEW: Clients will be emailed a health screening questionnaire before booking a new appointment, and again 24-48 hours before their appointment. We reserve the right to cancel or postpone an appointment, including an appointment in progress, if we are in doubt about the client’s wellness or if we are in doubt about our safety. Appointment which have not been confirmed with a completed health screening by 6pm the night before the appointment will be subject to cancellation and the deposit forfeited.
- NEW: Artists will also be health screened daily upon our arrival at the studio. We will postpone appointments if we have reservations about our own health or if we feel unwell.
- As we all have experienced, things like illness, injury and family emergencies tend to come up at the last minute, so be sure to check your email before coming in for your appointment just in case there are last minute changes to the appointment. In the event rescheduling is necessary, we’ll contact you as early and as soon as possible. Obviously sometimes things come up unpredictably, so be sure to check your email before coming in.
- If you are ill, do not come to the studio. In the days prior to – and the morning of – your appointment, self-assess how you’re feeling. If you are feeling unwell in any way – including, but not limited to: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, muscle aches or a head ache – contact your artist to reschedule. These protocols are effective in protecting everyone’s health – but only when everyone participates.
- NEW: For the time being, we are waiving the 72 hours required cancellation notice and forwarding all deposits to the rescheduled appointment. We know you’re looking forward to your tattoo – so are we! And, Matt and Awen want to protect our health, the health of our families and the health of all of our clients. Exception: If we don’t receive a completed health screening from you by 6pm the night before your appointment, the appointment will be canceled and the deposit forfeited.
- NOTE: A fresh tattoo requires energy from your immune system to heal, and your immune system requires resilience to fight exposure to illness, so it’s necessary to be healthy when getting tattooed. And, it is imperative that you’re truthful and responsible about your health for our safety and for the studio to remain open.
- Our artists are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health, the studio is licensed by the Minneapolis Health Department and we’re card carrying members of the Alliance of Professional Tattooists.
If your appointment was postponed due to COVID-19 Executive Order closures – THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE! Many of you have sent emails of support and encouragement as well as making purchases of our merch and gift cards. We cannot thank you enough for your support. You are literally THE BEST.
We’re taking a cautious approach to reopening. We know that you’re looking forward to your new ink, and we’re looking forward to hearing the blissful buzz of our tattoo machines and creating new art. And – health and safety come first.
We have close to one hundred appointments to reschedule since closing on 3/17, on top of appointments that were already booked for this summer and fall. Needless to say, rescheduling around a hundred appointments will take time and working with the enhanced COVID-19 health protocols will require additional time during each appointment. Please continue to be patient with the process. We’re looking forward to your tattoo too!
We work closely with Health Officials and fellow tattoo artists to implement protocols based on the most current scientific information. Two things we’ve learned during this pandemic is that our well-being is interdependent and the only constant in life is change. Expect protocols and studio hours to change as more is learned about the virus, and expect restrictions to come and go dependent upon how responsibly the public behaves during this pandemic. We’re big fans of science here. If you’re uncomfortable with any of these protocols, feel free to respectfully inquire for clarification and/or to postpone/reschedule your appointment. Questions? Just ask.
We take tremendous care to maintain the studio as a clean, healthy and welcoming space. Thanks in advance for doing everything you can to help keep the studio clean, the people in it healthy, and for being patient throughout all of this!
Awen and Matt