UPDATED May 13, 2021
It’s super exciting to hear the updated guidance from the CDC! The freedom vaccinations provide feels great after a long and challenging year! Health and public safety has always come first at AWP, and while we celebrate the beginning of the return to a new normal for those of us who are vaccinated, we will continue to take every precaution to respect and protect everyone. That said, please go get yourself poked if you haven’t already. Vaccines are now widely available and free. It’s up to us to proactively manage COVID-19 so that we can expand back into doing all the awesome stuff we love to do.
Prior to COVID-19, AWP already had strict protocols in place to proactively protect public health. This studio is clean, Carol Ann! When you come in to the studio for your appointment, you can expect that:
General studio information:
- UPDATED: Masks continue to be required for all clients and artists for the duration of your time in the studio – regardless of vaccination status. Respect for one another – it’s easy, it supports public and personal health and it keeps our business open. We will provide each client with a new surgical mask to wear for the duration of your time in the studio. The surgical masks we provide you help ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible. Despite the CDC update, and the relaxing of State protocols, Minneapolis Emergency Regulation 2020-12 continues to require masks be worn in all Minneapolis indoor public spaces. Be sure to wear your own personal mask entering and exiting our building. And hey – if you choose not to wear the fresh surgical mask we provide, no problem – we will reschedule your appointment.
- ALL studio hours, appointments, booking timelines and protocols are subject to change. If you have an appointment, be sure to check your email for updates prior to traveling to the studio.
- UPDATED: Matt and Awen are both fully vaccinated!
- Our artists are trained in Prevention of Disease Transmission in Tattooing through the Alliance of Professional Tattooists, which we re-certify annually (most recently 11/24/20).
- We clean and disinfect throughout the studio, including public and common spaces, before and after each client.
- We circulate fresh air into the studio and filter air 10x hourly with HEPA filtration in each workstation.
- Studio air quality is monitored by C02 sensors, maintaining Co2 levels below those recommended by the CDC for COVID-19 indoor air quality.
- Humidifiers are located in each work station to maintain humidity levels recommended by the CDC for COVID-19 indoor air quality.
- Single service disposable set ups are provided for each and every client. That means items used during your tattoo appointment – from needles to pigment to ink caps – are all discarded at the end of each appointment. Single service disposable is the way to go.
- We continue to support physical distancing by staggering appointments and arrival times.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer is available to clients throughout the duration of your appointment.
- Artists are health screened daily upon our arrival at the studio. We will postpone appointments if we have reservations about our own health or if we feel unwell.
- Our artists are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health, the studio is licensed by the Minneapolis Health Department and we’re card carrying members of the Alliance of Professional Tattooists
- UPDATED: We’ve reinstated our 72 hour notice to cancel or reschedule an appointment. We appreciate that most everyone is respectful of our time and recognizes that we need at least three days notice to fill an opening – hey everyone needs some time to find childcare or arrange for a day off from work. That said, if you begin to feel unwell in any way we encourage you to reschedule, even at the last minute. Contact your artist and we will work with you. Deposits are not refundable. No exceptions.
Prior to your appointment:
- We want to support the efficacy of the vaccine, and as we all know, the vaccine ramps up the immune system to build those antibodies. (Hello feeling symptomatic for a few days!) In the interest of supporting the immune system, please allow TWO WEEKS between your most recent COVID vaccine and your tattoo. This includes the 1st, 2nd and any future booster shots. Please proactively plan accordingly. If you have an appointment scheduled, we will happily reschedule – and if you’re booking a new appointment plan around those vaccines!
- Clients will be emailed a health screening questionnaire 24-48 hours before their appointment. We reserve the right to cancel or postpone an appointment, including an appointment in progress, if we are in doubt about the client’s wellness or if we are in doubt about our safety. Appointments which have not been confirmed with a completed health screening by 6pm the night before the appointment will be subject to cancellation and the deposit forfeited.
- UPDATED: If you are ill, do not come to the studio. In the days prior to – and the morning of – your appointment, self-assess how you’re feeling. If you are feeling unwell in any way – including, but not limited to: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, muscle aches or a head ache – contact your artist to reschedule. We are vaccinated against COVID, annnnd we also want to avoid colds, stomach bugs and all the other nasty stuff out there. These protocols are effective in protecting everyone’s health – and they’re most effective when everyone participates.
On the day of your appointment:
- UPDATED: Please minimize what you bring into the studio. A water bottle, earbuds / AirPods, a basic day bag – all good. Several giant bags and sacks of fast food – not so much. Keeping it minimal helps ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- Clients are expected to wear clean clothes to the studio. If you are coming from anywhere other than your home, change into clean clothes before arriving.
- UPDATED: With masks, the windows open, ventilation, air filtration and the buzz buzz buzzing of tattoo machines, it’s harder to hear one another which can make conversation tricky. You’re welcome to bring earbuds / AirPods with to carry you to your happy place while getting inked.
- Clients will wash hands with soap and hot water for a minimum of 20 seconds upon arriving at the studio.
- You’re welcome to have your phone in the chair with you if you clean and disinfect it with the provided wipes upon your arrival and wash hands after disinfecting the phone. While we understand these changes may seem inconvenient, they ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- Artists will be wearing masks, gloves, scrubs or aprons and other PPE such as eye protection or face shields. Nothing to see here (or to take personally) – we practice Standard Precautions which protect everyone.
- IMPORTANT: As we’ve all experienced, things like illness, injury and family emergencies tend to come up at the last minute, so be sure to check your email before coming in for your appointment just in case there are last minute changes to the appointment. In the event rescheduling is necessary, we’ll contact you as early and as soon as possible. Obviously sometimes things come up unpredictably, so be sure to check your email before coming in.
- REMEMBER: A fresh tattoo requires energy from your immune system to heal, and your immune system requires resilience to fight exposure to illness, so it’s necessary to be healthy when getting tattooed. And, it is imperative that you’re truthful and responsible about your health for our safety and for the studio to remain open. Get vaccinated and plan to allow 2 weeks following your most recent COVID vaccine before getting tattooed – including any future booster pokes. Contact your Artist to reschedule as needed.
We work closely with Health Officials and fellow tattoo artists to implement protocols based on the most current scientific information. Two things we’ve learned during this pandemic is that our well-being is interdependent and the only constant in life is change. Expect protocols and studio hours to change as we continue to learn about the virus and its variants, and expect restrictions to come and go dependent upon how responsibly the public behaves. COVID Fatigue is a thing. We feel you. We wanna have some fun. The pathway to keeping options open is to double down on diligence around responsible choices in order to support health, which will support businesses staying open, which will provide more options for fun. See how that works? Cool, right?
We’re big fans of science here. If you’re uncomfortable with any of these protocols, feel free to respectfully inquire for clarification and/or to postpone/reschedule your appointment. Questions? Just ask.
ONE LAST THING – THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT and PATIENCE! Many of you have sent emails of support and encouragement as well as making purchases of our merch and gift cards during the Stay at Home and during the Uprising. We cannot thank you enough. You are literally THE BEST. (And hey hey hey we’ve restocked our AWP logo rainbow split-fountain print shirts – check it!)
Be well and Stay Awesome!
Awen and Matt