UPDATED April 23, 2022
Thank you for carefully (re?) reading our COVID-19 protocols! We closely monitor current information on COVID-19, its variants and public health recommendations and consistently update this page.
And thank you for your ongoing support as we prioritize public health, the health of our clients and the health of our artists and our families. We appreciate you.
Prior to COVID-19, AWP has always had strict protocols in place to proactively protect public health. Public Health is primary to tattooing. This studio is clean, Carol Ann!
PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Locate and bring your vaccination card with you. Lost your card? We gotchu – looky here! If you have yet to get poked – with the vaccine – please do it. It’s less painful than a tattoo, shorter than a tattoo, easy to access and FREE. We do prefer proof of complete vaccination (including preferably a booster) to get a tattoo. Find places to get poked.
- If you are unvaccinated, we require proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of your tattoo appointment. Find a walk in PCR test. Or order two FREE at home Antigen tests from the State of MN. Or buy an at home Antigen test which come in a package of two, recommended to take consecutively 24 hours apart. These at home tests can be in limited supply, so plan ahead. If you’ve genuinely looked and are stranded without a testing option, contact your Artist.
- Photo ID is required. No exceptions.
- Payment is due at the time services are rendered. If you’re getting an extensive piece over several sessions, payment is due at each session. No exceptions.
- Clients will receive a health screen through an online wellness screening emailed 24-48 hours prior to arrival. Appointments which have not been confirmed with a completed health screening by 6pm the night before the appointment will be subject to cancellation and the deposit forfeited.
- If you are (or have been) feeling unwell – or if you’re in contact with anyone feeling unwell – do not come to the studio. Okay, I know this isn’t *new*, but given how tired we all are of this – it bears repeating. Welcome, Omicron BA.2.12.1 (3.14159265359infinity) – you pesky most recent variant that might as well say “Hold my beer” to yesterday’s variants when it comes to transmission levels. We’re tough on this one – if your artist notices you have symptoms during your time in the studio we will cancel your appointment and send you home. It would be awkward to have to send someone home. No-one wants awkward, right? We understand that it’s frustrating to postpone and wait even longer for your new tattoo. Life over the last two years has been a series of delays. We get it. PLEASE keep in mind that Awen and Matt want to say healthy to avoid even more delays. If we’re exposed, every appointment gets delayed while we isolate. Besides, we want to keep the studio a healthy, safe place for every other client we see as well as for our families when we go home. If you know you’re feeling funky or have been around someone feeling funky, just let us know asap. Even if it ends up being at the last minute. Cool? Cool.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Please minimize what you bring into the studio. A water bottle, earbuds, a basic day bag – all good. Several giant bags and sacks of fast food – not so much. Keeping it minimal helps ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- Clients are expected to wear clean clothes to the studio. If you are coming from anywhere other than your home, change into clean clothes before arriving.
- With masks, the windows open, ventilation, air filtration, music playing and the buzz buzz buzzing of tattoo machines, it’s harder to hear one another which can make conversation tricky. You’re welcome to bring earbuds with to carry you to your happy place while getting inked. We provide complimentary wireless so you can stream to your hearts content.
- Ventilation is key to interrupting the cycle of transmission for COVID-19. We cycle fresh – yes good ‘ol fresh outdoor Minnesota (even winter) air – into the studio. We adjust heating to balance this, but the studio runs cool. Bringing a zip up hoodie is a great way to keep one arm covered while the other gets tattooed – or makes for a handy lap blanket if you feel chilly.
- Masks are required for everyone for the duration of your time in the studio – regardless of vaccination status. Okay this isn’t new either – and YES WE STILL REQUIRE MASKS. Why you ask? Because this is one of the few – or maybe the only – situation in which you’re sitting inches away from someone for hours at a time. Neither of us knows where the other’s been. This is close up contact over a long period of time, Friends. Respect for one another – it’s easy, it supports public and personal health and it keeps small businesses – including ours – open. We will provide each person with a new N-95 or surgical mask to wear for the duration of your time in the studio. The masks we provide you help ensure the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible. And hey – we totally support freedom of choice. If you choose not to wear the fresh surgical mask we provide, no problem – we will choose to reschedule your appointment.
- Please wash your hands with soap and hot water for a minimum of 20 seconds upon arriving at the studio.
- You’re welcome to have your phone in the chair with you if you clean and disinfect the phone with the provided wipes upon your arrival and wash hands after disinfecting the phone. This ensures the tattoo workspace is as clean as possible.
- IMPORTANT: As we’ve all experienced, things like illness, injury and family emergencies tend to come up at the last minute, so be sure to check your email before coming in for your appointment just in case there are last minute changes to the appointment. In the event rescheduling is necessary, we’ll email you as soon as possible. Obviously sometimes things come up unpredictably, so be sure to check your email before coming in.
- REMEMBER: A fresh tattoo requires energy from your immune system to heal, and your immune system requires resilience to fight exposure to illness, so it’s necessary to be healthy when getting tattooed and to follow the care instructions and make good choices during the first few days of healing following the tattoo.
ONGOING AWP PUBLIC HEALTH PROTOCOLS
- ALL studio hours, appointments, booking timelines and protocols are subject to change. If you have an appointment, be sure to check your email for updates prior to traveling to the studio.
- Our artists are trained in Prevention of Disease Transmission in Tattooing through the Alliance of Professional Tattooists, which we re-certify annually (most recently 12/14/21) – including continuing education on COVID-19 transmission and prevention. This professional certification centers on the practice of Standard Precautions, which are protocols used when providing care to all individuals, whether or not they appear infectious or symptomatic. In other words, employing practices that assume everyone is a potential mode of illness transmission interrupts the chain of transmission. And breaking a link in that chain of transmission provides protection for everyone. That’s science talk right there. And the reason we take so many precautions.
- Everyone working at AWP is fully vaccinated – meaning boosted as well – and masking. BOOM!
- We clean and disinfect throughout the studio, including public and common spaces, before and after each client.
- Artists will be wearing masks, gloves, scrubs or aprons and other PPE such as eye protection or face shields. Nothing to see here (or to take personally) – we practice Standard Precautions which protect everyone.
- We circulate fresh air into the studio and filter air 5x hourly with HEPA filtration in each workstation.
- Studio air quality is monitored by C02 sensors, maintaining Co2 levels recommended by the CDC for COVID-19 indoor air quality.
- Single service disposable set ups are provided for each and every client. That means items used during your tattoo appointment – from needles to pigment to ink caps – are all discarded at the end of each appointment. Single service disposable is the way to go.
- We continue to support physical distancing by staggering appointments and arrival times. Upon your arrival, please be sure to call or text from the lobby before coming up to the studio. Look for an email from your artist with detailed info including a phone # the morning of you appointment.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer is available to clients throughout the duration of your appointment.
- Artists are health screened daily upon our arrival at the studio. We will postpone appointments if we have reservations about our own health or if we feel unwell. Thank you in advance for your understanding if we need to reschedule. Be sure to check your email for appointment updates prior to traveling to the studio.
- Our artists and studios are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minneapolis Health Department
- We’re card carrying Professional Members of the Alliance of Professional Tattooists.
Two things we’ve learned during this pandemic is that our well-being is interdependent and the only constant in life is change. Expect protocols and studio hours to change as we continue to learn about the virus and its variants, and expect restrictions to come and go dependent upon how responsibly the public behaves. Why do things continue to change? Because we continue to learn more – which is a GOOD THING. Hey we get it. COVID Fatigue is a thing. We feel you. We wanna have some fun and return to living more carefree. The pathway forward requires maintaining diligence to support health, which will support businesses staying open, which will provide more options for more carefree living. See how that works? Cool, right?
We’re big fans of science here. If you’re uncomfortable with any of these protocols, feel free to respectfully inquire for clarification and/or to postpone/reschedule your appointment. Questions? Just ask.
ONE LAST THING – THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT and PATIENCE! We appreciate each of you who have sent emails of support and encouragement as well as making purchases of our merch and gift cards during the Stay at Home and during the Uprising. We cannot thank you enough. You are literally THE BEST. (And hey hey hey we’ve restocked our AWP logo rainbow split-fountain print shirts – check it!)
Be well and Stay Awesome!
Awen and Matt